Textual content description offered by the architects. Whereas the aim of a gallery can change infrequently, the area must be robust sufficient to stop noise from interfering with the artworks and objects and to supply a balanced view of the works on show. On this mission, nevertheless, the long run path of the works to be exhibited shall be decided by the situation of Kurashiki’s Bikan Historic Quarter and the positioning that shall be created sooner or later. In different phrases, we thought that the area itself have to be the primary work on this gallery. Nevertheless, if the work or its individuality have been to face out, the impression and stereotypes of what could be positioned within the gallery would turn out to be stronger. The gallery must look as if it has at all times been there and has an individuality that may solely be born right here.
After I began designing this mission, I used to be strolling by the Bikan Historic Quarter with these ideas in thoughts. What might be the cornerstone of this city that can also be distinctive? I assumed that one thing extra pure and basic could be higher than an architectural design resembling a lattice window… As I used to be pondering this, I used to be drawn to a sure panorama. It’s a stone. For some purpose, stones have been unintentionally positioned on the boundaries between buildings and roads within the Bikan Historic Quarter, and I felt that these stones radiated a coloration of individuality among the many uniform Japanese-style buildings. The constructing throughout the street from the primary constructing is a cliff, however there’s a shrine on the high of the cliff, and in case you look intently, you may see a staircase of stone masonry that leads as much as the shrine.
In the event you look intently, you may see a stone masonry staircase main as much as the shrine, the place folks generally sit on the stones as in the event that they have been benches. I additionally heard an fascinating story from a neighbor that Kurashiki was reclaimed land, and that these cliffs was the quayside of the coast. The curbs and cliffs should not man-made, however moderately the results of pure weathering and deterioration over time. At this stage, when the artists and works to be exhibited are nonetheless undecided, I assumed that nothing may evaluate to the pure fantastic thing about the positioning. We thought that the gallery’s first work could be to make the passersby in Kurashiki’s Bikan Historic Quarter clearly conscious of the attraction of the stones that exist in numerous varieties on this space.
- Massive stones are positioned diagonally in a protracted and slender area.
- The primary stone is randomly positioned contained in the facade glass as if it had tumbled down from the cliff within the entrance, whereas the diagonal stones within the again are built-in with the H-steel columns to operate like big bundle stones.
- To profit from the view of the cliff on the entrance aspect, the facade was opened to make it as clear as attainable. The framed view of the cliff from the inside of the constructing provides the phantasm of an enormous portray of the historical past of the realm.
- The inside area has two multifunctional steps product of mortar for displaying artworks and for sitting on.
- The steps, that are partially movable, can be utilized flexibly, and the sense of scale throughout the gallery turns into extra heterogeneous as in the event that they have been stone sculptures created by synthetic molding. The distinction between the stone sculptures and the immovable stone sculptures, which have been created by the pressure of nature, makes folks query the preciousness of stone, which was created over a few years.
- Each bit of furnishings and fixture, just like the stone, has been meticulously designed to turn out to be a murals within the gallery. We hope that the artworks that shall be positioned right here sooner or later will work together with one another and turn out to be the place to begin for brand new cultural exchanges within the Bikan Historic Quarter.