With one month left earlier than the World Cup kicks off, the Overseas Workplace (FCDO) has shared six prime ideas that it thinks followers ought to tackle board.
The Center East’s first World Cup opens on 19 November, the fruits of a 12-year journey since Qatar gained a broadly tainted vote by FIFA, soccer’s worldwide governing physique.
A number of the controversy round Qatar’s profitable bid was as a result of doable restrictions that followers may face within the conservative nation, which at the moment was comparatively unused to holding worldwide sporting occasions.
However the FCDO has now issued a sequence of ideas for followers of the England and Wales groups who’re travelling to Qatar so, the federal government division says, they’ll have essentially the most pleasant expertise.
The ideas are:
1. Preparation – The FCDO has ready a guidelines of all of the objects followers ought to contemplate earlier than they journey together with every little thing from passport validity to well being prescriptions.
2. Journey Recommendation – By signing as much as e-mail alerts and visiting the gov.uk/qatar2022 web site, followers can keep updated and be told on all the most recent developments all through the match.
3. Entry Necessities – It’s obligatory for all followers to acquire a Hayya card (a fan ID) and present proof of a damaging COVID-19 PCR check end result or a fast antigen check certificates. Moreover, lodging have to be pre-booked earlier than travelling.
4. Journey Insurance coverage – Medical payments can add as much as hundreds of kilos with out insurance coverage, so followers ought to make sure that their insurance coverage plan accommodates all locations, medical necessities, COVID prices and actions.
5. Legal guidelines and Customs – It can be crucial that followers familiarise themselves with Qatari legal guidelines and offences as they differ from the UK, resembling entry to alcohol.
6. Keep away from Medication – Guests can obtain extreme penalties and sentences for any possession of medication, even in residual quantities, so it’s suggested to steer clear from medicine fully.
There was a lot dialogue amongst fan teams across the restrictions which followers may face. They embody:
Consuming in public is taken into account a criminal offense in Qatar and importing alcohol into the nation is strictly banned.
Alcohol can solely be offered to guests aged 21+ at licensed premises.
Nonetheless, the principles will likely be relaxed for the World Cup and followers will likely be permitted to drink in designated alcohol zones.
Alcohol will likely be obtainable in stadiums from three hours earlier than kick-off and one hour after, however not throughout the match.
Earlier this month, World Cup chief Nasser Al Khater confirmed drunk followers, ought to they create a hostile and unsafe setting, will likely be despatched to a protected zone to sober up.
Whereas homosexuality is illegitimate in Qatar, the occasion’s organising committee has issued assurances that LGBT followers are welcome to show affection and showcase pleasure flags all through the match.
Al Khater commented that: “I wish to guarantee any fan, of any gender, (sexual) orientation, faith, race, to relaxation assured that Qatar is likely one of the most protected nations on the planet – and so they’ll all be welcome right here.”
Nonetheless, the official added: “This can be a sporting match that individuals wish to come and luxuriate in. Turning it right into a platform of political statements I do not suppose is true for the game.”