Drexel Police and some college students posing on the Nov. 17 Cookies With Cops occasion.
Season’s Greetings from Drexel Public Security! Whether or not you’re holiday-ready or have but to start preparations, the information supplied under will assist guarantee all members of the Drexel group get pleasure from a secure, wholesome and joyful vacation season. As a reminder to anybody who will likely be on campus through the winter break, Public Security will likely be right here 24/7 providing the identical sources as all the time.
Vacation Season Security Suggestions
Keep away from these adorning hazards
Nothing can destroy your holidays like a visit to the emergency room or a go to from the fireplace division. Bear in mind these security suggestions whenever you’re planning to embellish outdoor:
- Verify the climate and wait it out — snow and ice could make hanging lights on rooftops harmful.
- Guarantee your ladder is firmly footed, on degree floor and angled to the construction for very best security.
- Concentrate on energy strains.
- Use plastic clips (not steel fasteners) to safe lights.
- Guarantee all gentle units aren’t frayed or break up, and plug in all connections tightly.
When adorning indoors, remember the fact that though conventional decorations might look fairly, they are often dangerous to youngsters and pets.
- Spray-on snow incorporates chemical substances that may be dangerous if inhaled. Keep away from spraying whereas youngsters are close by and achieve this in a well-ventilated space.
- Classic glass ornaments handed down from generations are fragile and might produce extraordinarily sharp shards if damaged. Some may additionally include lead paint.
- Tinsel and garland can grow to be choking hazards and trigger harmful blockages within the digestive tracts for each youngsters and pets.
- Poinsettias, holly berries and mistletoe are all toxic to people and pets if swallowed.
Shield your self whereas purchasing
Whilst you’re out checking off these purchasing lists and visiting busy retail facilities this season:
- Keep Alert
- Park close to your vacation spot.
- Concentrate on your surrounding and belongings.
- Guard Your Valuables Towards Theft
- By no means go away your purse, pockets or cellphone unattended in a cart or on the counter.
- Carry your purses and wallets near your physique or zipped inside in a pocket.
- Lock packages in your trunk, out of sight.
- Shield Your Household
- If purchasing with babies, set up a gathering level in case of separation.
- Train youngsters find out how to search assist from retailer personnel or safety.
- Earlier than leaving the home, take photos of your youngsters and what they’re sporting — this helps when on the lookout for misplaced youngsters.
Store on-line responsibly
- Store with identified companies, conducting transactions on a safe server solely.
- Don’t present your Social Safety quantity or driver’s license quantity, as these aren’t wanted for on-line purchases.
- Make certain your pc has the most recent anti-virus and anti-spyware software program downloaded. (Evaluate the Data Safety part of Drexel IT’s web site for extra suggestions and trainings.)
- Monitor bank card and financial institution statements for any unauthorized fees.
- You need to use the foyer of Public Security headquarters (3219 Arch St.) as a “Protected On-line Transaction Zone” when shopping for, promoting and exchanging items with of us you meet on-line.
Safeguard packages from theft
- In the event you received’t be house for a supply, have your packages delivered elsewhere, equivalent to an Amazon pick-up/return web site, P.O. field or a FedEx or UPS location.
- Request that deliveries require a signature. With carriers like FedEx or UPS, you possibly can usually set this choice by your buyer account, even when the package deal is already on its approach. In different circumstances, equivalent to U.S. Postal Service deliveries, you will have to rearrange for a signature forward of time.
- Subscribe to supply alerts. All main supply companies provide notification companies for package deal updates. A textual content message will inform you that your package deal has arrived.
- Ask a member of the family, roommate, or trusted neighbor to retrieve your package deal for you.
- Revisit July’s publication for extra tips about avoiding package deal thefts.
Be sensible with area heaters
- Learn the producer’s directions and warning labels rigorously.
- Verify for cracked or damaged plugs or unfastened connections earlier than every use.
- Plug the heater immediately into wall retailers; don’t use an extension twine or energy strip. Don’t plug some other electrical units into the identical outlet because the heater.
- Place the warmers on a stable, flat floor. By no means place on cupboards, tables, furnishings or carpet, all of which may overheat and begin a fireplace.
- Hold area heaters no less than three toes from flammable objects (paper, clothes, rugs, bedding, and many others.).
- By no means go away an area heater unattended. Flip it off whenever you’re leaving a room or going to sleep.
- All the time unplug and safely retailer the heater when it’s not in use.
Keep secure whereas touring
Earlier than you permit for vacation journey:
- Cease mail and cancel deliveries.
- Put an computerized timer on lights.
- Inform a trusted member of the family, pal or neighbor your itinerary.
- Lock all home windows and doorways, together with the basement and storage.
When touring by airports:
- Stroll with confidence, protecting your head up and looking out ahead.
- By no means go away your baggage unattended.
- Solely use taxis and transportation companies with official markings.
- Mark your baggage in order that it may be simply recognized and picked up instantly.
Whereas away from house:
- Carry a minimal amount of money.
- Carry your cellphone near you.
- If driving, plan your route and have your automotive serviced, together with your tires. All the time preserve an emergency preparedness package with you, and don’t drive whereas drowsy.
- By no means decide up hitchhikers.
Vacation Cookies With Cops: Dec. 8
Be a part of DPS on Dec. 8, from 10 a.m. to midday at 33rd and Arch streets for a holiday-themed Cookies With Cops, full with a scorching cocoa bar!