With an estimated 54.6 million individuals touring to have fun the Thanksgiving vacation this yr, it’s necessary for passenger and business drivers alike to remind themselves of the very best practices to be protected on the highway.
“Given the excessive quantity of vacationers for Thanksgiving, you will need to implement protected driving measures so everybody could make it to the dinner desk,” mentioned truck driver Gina Jones of Werner Enterprises. “As knowledgeable truck driver, I’m delivering all of the trimmings needed for Thanksgiving. I hope my fellow motorists will think about these protected driving ideas when touring to their Thanksgiving locations.”
Thanksgiving gives a number of different driving challenges past site visitors congestion. Winter climate situations current distinctive issues for motorists, together with excessive winds and blowing snow, which contribute to diminished visibility in lots of areas all through the nation. Equally, freezing temperatures can have a profound affect on autos and roadways. A radical pre-trip inspection and understanding of driving situations can play a big position in driving success this vacation season.
“As a truck driver from Maine, I’ve been skilled to take care of wintery highway situations,” mentioned truck driver Ron Spherical of Pottle’s Transportation. “It is very important be sure that your car is ready for prolonged journeys. Examine your wiper fluids, antifreeze, and pack a couple of additional blankets earlier than you begin your journey in case of an emergency.”
The American Trucking Associations’ Share the Highway freeway security program gives these reminders to motorists this Thanksgiving season.
- Buckle up: Security belts save lives. Day or evening, and even in case you are using within the again seat—put on your security belt.
- Take away ice and snow out of your car: Clear your home windows and roof of snow to make sure you have most visibility and keep away from making a hazard for the car behind you. Do not enable ice and snow to create further blind spots in your car.
- Decelerate: The possibility of a crash almost triples when driving quicker than surrounding site visitors. Icy situations could make the roads slippery, so decelerate to keep away from dropping management of your car.
- Do not drive impaired: There may be a lot to have fun this time of yr throughout the vacation season. With that mentioned, driving is a superb duty, and your fellow vacationers are counting on protected and attentive drivers to respectfully share the highway and make good choices.
- Concentrate on truck blind spots: When sharing the highway with massive vans, pay attention to their blind spots. If you happen to can’t see the skilled truck driver in his or her mirrors, then the skilled truck driver can’t see you.
- Hold your eyes on the highway: Distracted driving is a significant explanation for site visitors accidents, particularly amongst younger drivers. Even simply two seconds of distraction time doubles the possibilities of an accident. By no means textual content whereas driving.
- Don’t lower in entrance of huge vans: Keep in mind vans are heavier and take longer to make an entire cease, so keep away from slicing rapidly in entrance of them.
- Put together your car for lengthy distance journey: Examine your wipers and fluids. Have your radiator and cooling system serviced. Easy upkeep earlier than you allow your property can stop most of the issues which may strand motorists on the facet of the highway.
- Go away early and keep away from dangers: Go away early so you’ll not be concerned about arriving late. Highway situations might change attributable to inclement climate or site visitors congestion.
- Concentrate on the car in entrance of you: Go away additional room between you and the car forward.
- Perceive congestion patterns: Excessive site visitors volumes result in better alternatives for accidents, so plan your journey to keep away from site visitors bottlenecks and elevated site visitors volumes.