To the Editor:
As we have fun one of many first holidays of the season, Halloween, I need to share some vital security reminders which are crucial to our college students, workers, and households. It’s important that as a neighborhood, we glance out for each other and supply the most effective atmosphere for our youngsters to study and succeed.
Halloween is a enjoyable time for households to stroll round their neighborhood. The U.S. Meals and Drug Administration (FDA) shares Halloween security ideas that may save lives:
• Guarantee costumes are usually not flammable.
• Add reflective tape to objects and glowsticks.
• Guarantee Halloween make-up is non-toxic and take a look at on a small patch of pores and skin earlier than utilizing.
• Guarantee masks don’t obscure imaginative and prescient.
• Instruct youngsters to journey solely in acquainted and well-lit areas.
The dearth of visibility and low lighting in neighborhoods may cause tragedies. Accountable adults ought to accompany younger youngsters on neighborhood routes and agree on time to return dwelling. Drivers ought to all the time take precautions, particularly on Halloween.
Psychological Well being
As we method the vacation breaks, you will need to know that the times off from college can disrupt regular routines for college kids. Youngsters could really feel unsafe as a consequence of a change of their meals safety and social interplay. Lecturers and oldsters ought to all the time search for indicators of despair or anxiousness in youngsters. We encourage households to hunt help from a psychological well being skilled if youngsters are exhibiting signs of despair or anxiousness, together with the next:
• Fears interfering with college, dwelling, or college actions, comparable to separation anxiousness, social
• anxiousness, and being concerned about dangerous issues taking place sooner or later.
• Youngsters turn out to be unhappy or tired of issues they used to take pleasure in and really feel helpless or hopeless
• in conditions they’ll change.
• Modifications in vitality, sleep patterns and consuming patterns.
• Having a tough time paying consideration, feeling ineffective or nugatory, feeling self-destructive.
Site visitors and pedestrian security
The security of our college students additionally extends to primary site visitors and pedestrian security. Each morning and night, our college students, workers, and households journey to and from college. Now that daylight financial savings is ending, there will likely be extra darkish mornings and nights. In Mendocino County, many roads don’t have good lighting or sidewalks. We ask drivers and motorists to be extraordinarily cautious round faculties, bus stops, and on the street normally.
The Nationwide Affiliation for Pupil Transportation shares priceless details about College Bus Security. It’s crucial for each bus riders and drivers sharing the street to apply good pedestrian and driving habits, together with the next:
• Please arrive on the bus cease on time together with your youngsters on the bus cease the place the bus driver can see you.
• By no means run throughout site visitors to achieve a bus, and all the time look each methods earlier than crossing the road. • Scholar backpacks needs to be securely closed. Something that falls out of your palms or your backpack close to the college bus shouldn’t be picked up. Please alert the motive force about your merchandise, however don’t try and run round a bus or attain beneath it.
• For fogeys who stroll their younger youngsters to the bus cease, you’ll want to educate and narrate good pedestrian habits alongside the best way, together with demonstrating wanting each methods earlier than crossing the road.
• Drivers ought to all the time cease when pink bus lights are flashing, and by no means cross a faculty bus in case college students are crossing the road.
COVID-19 security continues to be a precedence. Mendocino County Public Well being shares an vital COVID-19 well being advisory: Everybody ought to obtain the Bivalent COVID-19 booster and flu shot, obtainable to be scheduled via MyTurn. Please take COVID-19 checks in case you expertise sickness signs and keep dwelling to keep away from spreading COVID-19.
The security of our neighborhood is our collective duty. I admire efforts to make our college days protected and productive for everybody in our district. I want everybody a protected and blissful vacation season.
-Michelle Hutchins, Mendocino County Superintendent of Faculties