With one of many busiest journey occasions of the 12 months approaching—and an estimated 54.6 million People planning to journey greater than 50 miles throughout the lengthy Thanksgiving vacation weekend, in line with AAA—the Alzheimer’s Basis of America is providing suggestions to assist households touring with a beloved one with a dementia-related sickness make their journey as easy and comfy as doable.
“Thanksgiving is without doubt one of the busiest journey occasions of the 12 months, and the conventional challenges of journey are amplified for somebody dwelling with a dementia-related sickness, which is why households must be proactive and put together,” stated Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr., AFA’s president and CEO. “No matter how far you’re touring, taking a couple of easy steps prematurely can go a protracted solution to making the journey simpler, extra comfy and extra pleasurable for everybody.”
Earlier than the journey:
- Ensure journey is advisable. Somebody within the early levels of dementia should take pleasure in touring, however because the illness progresses, it might turn into too overwhelming. Relying on the journey period and/or the stage of the particular person’s sickness, seek the advice of with their doctor to verify journey is advisable.
- Plan across the particular person’s skills. Plan the journey mode and timing of your journey in a fashion that causes the least quantity of tension and stress. Account for the particular person, their skills, and wishes when making preparations; in the event that they journey higher at a particular time of day, take into account planning accordingly.
- Protect the particular person’s routine. Small or unfamiliar adjustments may be overwhelming and anxious to somebody with dementia, so to the best extent doable, protect the particular person’s routine. For instance, in the event that they usually eat round a sure time, construct that into the itinerary.
- Fill up earlier than leaving. Deliver snacks, water, actions and different consolation gadgets (i.e., a blanket or the particular person’s favourite sweater), in addition to an additional, comfy change of clothes to adapt to local weather adjustments. Take vital well being and legal-related documentation, an inventory of present medicines, and doctor data with you.
If touring by mass transit:
- Know the safety procedures. Inquire prematurely with airports/prepare stations about safety screening procedures. This manner, you possibly can familiarize the particular person beforehand about what is going to occur on the checkpoint to scale back potential anxiousness. The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) can supply help with the screening course of to air vacationers with sure medical circumstances, together with dementia-related sicknesses; contact their TSA Cares Helpline a minimum of 72 hours previous to your flight to study extra.
- Advise the airline. Let the airline know that you simply’re touring with somebody who has reminiscence impairment and inform them of security issues and particular wants.
If touring by automotive:
- Construct in break time. Take common breaks on highway journeys for meals, toilet visits, and relaxation.
Households with questions on touring with somebody who has a dementia-related sickness can converse with a licensed social employee by means of the AFA Helpline by telephone (866-232-8484), textual content message (646-586-5283), or webchat (www.alzfdn.org).
The helpline is accessible seven days per week.